If you are coming to Serbia to work, you’ll need either a temporary or permanent residence and also a work permit often called a ‘work visa’.
In order to get a work permit you are required to have a temporary or permanent residence in Serbia.
In this guide we will try to provide you with all essential information regarding work permits.
Note: Considering that a temporary residence permit is sufficient to obtain a work permit and that the prior condition for obtaining a permanent residence is having a temporary residence, in this comprenhesive guide we will focus on the conditions and the procedure for obtaining a temporary residence & a work permit.
Temporary residence permit grants you the right to live in Serbia for the period for which that permit was issued (primarily it is issued for a period of 1 year but it can be extended for a longer period of time).
Work permit grants you the right to legally work in Serbia for the period for which that permit was issued (usually it is issued for the same period as the temporary residence permit).
Foreign nationals in the Republic of Serbia who intents to stay in the Republic of Serbia for over 90 days for different purposes. In this case, for the purpose of work.
Employment of foreign nationals in the Republic of Serbia is regulated by Foreign Nationals Employment Act.
A work permit may be issued as:
1) A personal work permit;
2) A work permit.
Only one type of work permit may be issued for same time period.
A foreign national who possesses a work permit may only perform those activities which have been granted to him by the work permit.
Note: This type of work permits are exceptional and intended for uncommon cases depending on the foreigner's personal status. Considering that these work permits are exceptional, they won’t be covered in this guide, but be free to contacts us if you have any questions.
A personal work permit is issued at the request of a foreign national if:
1) He possesses a permanent residence approval or;
2) He has a status of a refugee or;
3) He belongs to a special category of a foreign national
Note: This type of work permits are intended for common situations and you should focus on them.
Work permit can be issued as:
1) A work permit for employment;
2) A work permit for special cases of employment;
3) A work permit for self-employment
A work permit for employment is issued at the request of an employer, in accordance with the state of the labor market, provided that such employer:
1) Had not, prior to submitting an application for work permit for employment, fired employees due to technological, economic or organizational changes on work positions for which the work permit for employment is being requested, in accordance with employment regulations;
2) Did not, within ten days prior to submitting an application for work permit for employment, find the citizens of the Republic, persons that have free access to the labor market, or a foreign national with personal work permit, of appropriate qualifications registered with the organization in charge of employment;
3) Encloses a proposal of employment contract or other contract whereby work related rights are exercised, in accordance with the law
An employer at whose request the work permit was issued:
1) May not second such foreign national to work for another employer;
2) Is required to register the foreign national for compulsory social insurance, in accordance with the law;
3) Bear the costs of work permit issuance and may not forward them to the foreign national.
An employer who employed a foreign national without a proper residence approval and work permit shall pay him all monetary claims, in accordance with the employment relating regulations, along with the payment of employment-related taxes and contributions for compulsory social insurance
A work permit for special cases of employment is issued at the employer’s request, namely for the:
1) Seconded persons;
2) Relocations within a company;
3) Independent professionals;
4) Training and improvement.
A work permit for seconded persons employed by a foreign employer are issued at the employer’s request for the purposes of performing activities or providing services in the territory of the Republic, on the basis of the concluded contract on business and technical cooperation with a foreign employer.
Relocations within a company
A work permit for relocation within a company registered abroad is issued at the request of a branch office, i.e. a subsidiary company registered in the Republic, for the purpose of temporary secondment, i.e. relocation of an employee for work in that branch office, i.e. subsidiary, provided that the person has been employed by the foreign employer for at least one year at the position of executive, manager or specialist for a specific field (key personnel), as well as that such person shall continue to perform the same activities in the Republic.
A work permit for relocation within a company registered abroad is also issued at the request of the branch office, i.e. subsidiary company registered in the Republic, for the purpose of temporary secondment, i.e. relocation of an employed intern for work in that organizational unit, i.e. subsidiary company.
A work permit for an independent professional is issued at the request of an employer, i.e. end-user of services.
Training and improvement
Work permit for training and improvement is issued at the request of the employer, i.e. the foreign national, for the purpose of training, internships, professional practice, vocational training i.e. improvement.
The easiest way to get a temporary residence and a work permit is by founding a company. In this case, you can start a business or register as an entrepreneur and then apply for a residence & work permit.
Find out more about a company formation in Serbia.
- valid passport
- proof of means of subsistence during the planned stay
- registered address in Republic of Serbia
- proof of health insurance during your planned stay
- two photos
- proof of payment of the administrative fee
- additional documents depending on the type of the work permit you need
If you have any questions or if you want us to help you with getting a residence & a work permit be free to contact us.